Thursday, October 18, 2007

Bell, continued

I have finished the reading relating to Gertrude Bell and her exploits. I want to reiterate just how wonderful it was to read her account! It was well written, entertaining, and easy to read. Her portrayals of the thoughts and opinions of the people she traveled with were vivid and engaging. I really feel as if I understand just a little bit more of this mysterious culture. The talk we had about Bell on Wednesday was really interesting and I enjoyed everyone's opinions and takes on different passages in her account. I would really have liked the writing exercise I did in class to be my blog for this week, but alas, we handed it in and I can't remember exactly what I wrote. The point that was made about middle-eastern eating habits sticks out in my memory. It is really interesting the contrast between Western culture thinking that eating a whole lot of food is good for you and the best way to remain healthy and the Eastern culture seeing excessive eating as somewhat of a weakness and should only be used for company. Looking forward a few hundred years, we see that in the West, obesity reigns supreme and people are very unhealthy, whereas the East still eat sparingly and much healthier and are hardier, not to mention thinner, than the West. The inverse meaning behind something as simple as eating is incredibly intriguing and gives me more of a diversity in the analyzing of motives. It was shown to me that, in all things, there is meaning that should be honored and repeated if we want to make progress with other people from other cultures. Looking forward to the wrap up and the next leg of our continuing journey.

1 comment:

Krista Heiser said...

The class discussions are great. I love the different perspectives and insights we get. I know there have been a few times where my impression has actually been altered by someone else's logic. From an educational view-point, I love when that happens!